Heat pump grant rises to £7,500
Posted on Wednesday, November 1, 2023
The UK government has introduced grants to encourage homeowners to switch to low-carbon heating systems, particularly heat pumps. These grants aim to make it more financially viable for people to transition from gas boilers to more eco-friendly heating options.
- Grant Increase: As of October 23, 2023, the government has increased the heat pump grants in England and Wales to £7,500. In Scotland, homeowners were already eligible for grants of up to £7,500 for installing heat pumps.
- Eligibility: To claim the grant, you must be a homeowner looking to install a heat pump in your home. The specific eligibility criteria may be outlined on the government website.
- Certified Installers: The process of claiming the grant is typically managed by your heat pump installer. When the installer visits your home to conduct a heat pump assessment, they will provide you with a quote that incorporates the £7,500 discount. It's crucial to hire installers who are certified under the Microgeneration Certification System, a nationally recognized standards organization. These certified installers can apply for the grant on your behalf. This certification ensures the quality of your new heating system.
- Cost: The government estimates that the cost of an air source heat pump, including the system and installation, will be around £12,000. After deducting the £7,500 grant, you can expect to pay approximately £4,500 for a new heat pump for your home. It's important to note that this is an average cost, and the final amount you pay may vary depending on factors like the size of the heat pump required for your home and any additional energy efficiency improvements needed.
- Energy Performance Certificate (EPC): Check your Energy Performance Certificate to see if there are any recommended improvements for your home. Addressing these recommendations may impact the overall cost of installing a heat pump.
- Application: More information about how to apply for the grant and detailed eligibility criteria can typically be found on the government website. Be sure to review the official guidelines to ensure you meet all the necessary requirements.
By taking advantage of these grants and switching to a heat pump, you can reduce your carbon footprint and potentially save on heating costs in the long run. It's a positive step toward a more sustainable and energy-efficient home heating system.
Sourced from Rightmove